NFL: 2024 NFL off-season news & notes discussion thread

Sep 19, 2008
During Friday's podcast, Jason Kelce added: "There's always going to be opinions that everybody shares that you're going to disagree with.

"And make no mistake about it, a lot of the things he said in his commencement speech are not things that I align myself with. But, he's giving a commencement speech at a Catholic university, and, shocker, it ended up being a very religious and Catholic speech.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Unlikely but not impossible. Lets not forget how Kaepernick was ex-communicated from the NFL for something not too different then what is being suggested here. And no I'm no comparing Mahomes to Kap as far as skills go, but lets not forget Kap had good success in SF.
Mahomes is invincible unless gets into legal troubles. Kaepernick would've been too if he won 3 Super Bowls.

Reactions: Voight and LT

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
I was talking about NFL roster composition, which you absolutely knew from the context of my mentioning of the locker room, and you chose to ignore that and go off on a tangent. Because you, again, are trying to minimize and rationalize outright bigotry.

You cannot seriously believe that Butker would've received anything close to the same reaction if he had said the exact same things about black people or hispanics. He chose targets that are not well represented or represented at all by his teammates, and because of that his teammates let him off the hook.

But if he had chosen targets that ARE well represented in the league the backlash against him would be unanimous and severe.

The only thing "delicate" about this situation is the moral character of the people who are going out of their way to call Butker "a great guy" and "a great teammate" while hedging their comments by saying they, "don't agree" with everything he said without being brave enough to point out what was wrong about what he said and why.

This is not about me. This is about basic human decency. Either you condemn bigotry or you abide it. Reid, Mahomes, and Kelce were all given the chance to outright condemn pure bigotry and they chose, instead, to deflect and go out of their way to praise the source of that bigotry.
If at each instant in life, any one of us, or any group of us, fully expected and wanted all of humanity to carry our anger, or carry or view point. Imagine the complexity.

Butker,as many Bible thumpers, tend to know little. They do not read. Nor analyze. Few know religious history and few research and read.

My Mother is not A Catholic, she is THE catholic. But has a grade 7 education. My Aunts and Uncles (her siblings) have less. And so, my mother will watch a 1950's movie about the Roman Empire and fully believe everything she sees. During a visit to my place, we are watching a movie and she said "How did they dress like this back then??". I did not have the heart to tell her. This is a Hollywood producer/director in the 1950's presenting it. It is not real. It is fantasy.

And so, many "religious" people, often fail have the common sense. But they are a solid 20-40% of society.

Now others, are well read, well educated, well thinking. And still choose to abide by religious teachings as prescribed by documents. These documents can at time be dated back to 1350 BCE. Some 3500 years ago.

These documents are presented as "the word of GOD". The one religious document that has been at the heart of much anguish in society is: Leviticus. That is a Greek word meaning priests of the tribe of Levi. In Abrahamic religion, Judaism, Christianity and Islam. It is sacred. It is GOD telling Moses.

GOD and MOSES.. In all 3 religions, these are the top. Cannot go higher than GOD. And Moses is way up the sacred chain.

So now, you want to tell believers. Hey disregard the word of God. As told to Moses.

My Mother and Aunts and Uncles. My late Father. My Aunts and Uncles on that side. Would have died of heart attacks.

A more pragmatic, A more understanding society, is on the horizon. Christianity, Islam, Judaism and other Monotheistic religions will transform. And so things will change. And the Butkers will be less.

But what is NOT needed now is: Sabre rattling. On either side. What is needed now is, both sides to leave the other alone.

Let Butker deliver his speech. let him deliver it to Catholics at a Catholic university. Move on. On Pride day and Pride day parade. Catholics stay home.

The smart people in this world are trying to calm waters down. Sabre rattling gets you October 7 in Israel and the events in Gaza since. Both are terrible tragedies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
In an OTA session. He gets paid, but that's a massive injury to any player. We are 10 weeks out from playing pre-season games.

I don't quite get the purpose of OTAs in that you ask players to come in this far in advance of the season to practice. Like what exactly are these guys doing? And then they leave for a few weeks before camp opens in August.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Cancel culture strikes kickers doing kickoffs. He’s not allowed to do his job.

I'll be surprised if they actually go through with it considering he's the manliest of men with all that masculinity. If any kicker can go out there to take hits and tackle, it should be him.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Cancel culture strikes kickers doing kickoffs. He’s not allowed to do his job.
I mean, from a pure strategy POV, if you expect returns, then you obviously want someone who can run 4.5 and tackle someone. Sorry, but that isn't most K.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad